It’s the second-to-last day of December. And since The Change Companies’ fiscal year follows the calendar year, it’s time for me to wrap up 2015 both personally and corporately.
As I’ve done for many Decembers, I will find a quiet corner in my house and evaluate whether I’ve been naughty or nice. I’m always a little surprised at the aggregate. It turns out how I measure myself as a corporate leader is very similar to how I measure myself as a human being.
Here’s my checklist:
- It’s all about my relationships with people in my life. Did my actions reflect this fact?
- Big things rarely happen to me. Did I appreciate all the little choices and the little gifts that came my way each day?
- Was I gracious and generous?
- Do I have a clear sense of what my life purpose is? Did I keep it as my guiding principle in 2015?
- Did I do what I said I would do?
- Did I listen to other people and search for understanding?
- Was I honest, particularly during difficult times?
- Did I play each day and, in doing so, did I bring joy to others?
Ahh, 2015: Another year of striving for progress, not perfection.